Monday, April 18, 2011

A quick trip

The days have really gotten away from me. I've want to be a better blogger than this!

We took our trip out to Ohio and it was a whirlwind. First we went to see my in-laws and then to Cleveland for my niece's Master's Recital.

My MIL was still in the hospital and still in a lot of pain. One thing that concerned me is that she was acting very helpless, more helpless than she really was. That's not like her at all. It was almost as if she's given up and that isn't good at all. Even though she's had some real problems the past couple of years, she has a strong constitution and I think could possibly keep going for a number of years. I know that a broken leg is not a small thing, I've been through it myself. It's just so hard to see her acting as if she can't do a thing to help herself.

As it turns out things were in progress for my in-laws to move into assisted living. The unit is right near the hospital where my Brother-in-law works and is less than a mile from their home. My MIL is very happy to move but my FIL is having trouble with it. He keeps saying that he thought they'd live in their house until they died. It's a little strange, I think most people who live into old age have to eventually go into a nursing home, or assisted living or at least move in with relatives. Realistic or not, he had the idea in his head and is having trouble giving it up. Fortunately the facility they are moving to is quite nice. DH and I stopped by unannounced asking for a tour and they accommodated us. I thought that was a good sign. We stopped by at lunchtime and not surprisingly noticed that the vast majority of residents are women. I don't know if FIL will like that or not.

Of course the unit they will be in is much smaller than their house. Fortunately they will not give up the house quite yet so will have some time to reduce their possessions. When we visited MIL in the hospital she kept saying things like, "take some crystal, take some vases, take anything you want." We were there with a very small car so weren't about to take much! In a couple of weeks DH will rent a truck and go out with one of our DS's and take a few pieces of furniture.

This is getting long, so I'll continue with the tale of our trip within the next few days. Meanwhile, here is a picture of our daffodils-they are one of my favorite flowers.


They really need to be thinned out before they stop blooming so well. That's a project for later this summer.

No comments: